Lawyer (905) 632-9474 email@example.com
Rick Burgess is a pillar of Burlington, having practiced law in downtown Burlington for approximately 15 years, all the while serving the community by acting as a director for numerous organizations in the arts, business, education, and philanthropic organizations.
Rick started practicing law with a national law firm on Bay Street before taking a 6-year hiatus from law to become a business owner himself. As the owner and operator of a small business, Rick gained first-hand knowledge of the goals, achievements and satisfaction of owning your own business, as well as the challenges and frustrations that small business owners face.
Rick has provided business law solutions to all manner of businesses over the years. He has serviced national and multi-national corporations, helping them acquire new business units and complete complex financing arrangements. However, Rick’s core clientele consists of small and medium sized owner-operator businesses.
The lawyers and staff of Frederikse Law are thrilled to be able to work with Rick. Rick will be offering his extensive knowledge and experience as counsel to the firm while he gradually transitions into retirement.
- University of Western Ontario – Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
- University of Toronto – Bachelor of Laws
- Called to the Ontario Bar in 1980
- Admitted to the California Bar in 1979
- Chair of the Burlington Performing Arts Centre Board
- Member of the Business Awards Task Force and the Political Action Committee with the Burlington Chamber of Commerce
- Director of Python’s Pit
Rick's Awards and Recognition
- a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal, awarded by the Government of Canada on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of her accession to the throne, in recognition of contributions to Canada;
- the inaugural Distinguished Volunteer Award from the Burlington Chamber of Commerce;
- a Paul Harris Fellowship awarded by The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International given for the furtherance of better understanding and friendly relations among peoples of the world;
- a Five Year Volunteer Service Award from the Government of Ontario in honour of a commitment to volunteerism;
- a Pearl Award presented by the Art Gallery of Burlington on the occasion of its 30th anniversary in recognition of dedication and commitment to the visual arts and the growth of the organization;
- a Certificate of Appreciation presented by the Burlington Chamber of Commerce in recognition of 10 years of continuous service;
- Life-time membership in the Burlington Chamber of Commerce in recognition of his extensive contributions to the Burlington Chamber of Commerce.
- He is the current chair of Burlington Theatre Board Inc., which is charged with managing Burlington’s Performing Arts Centre, and a director of Python’s Pit, Halton’s student entrepreneurial competition.
Rick's Past Commumity Service Roles
- Past Chair of the Burlington Community Foundation Board, a position he held from July 2008 to July 2010.
- Past Vice-Chair of the Halton Police Services Board;
- Past President of the Board of Creative Burlington (formerly Performing Arts Burlington);
- Past Chair of the Board of the Burlington Chamber of Commerce
- Past President of the Board of the Burlington Art Centre and a former member of the Board of the Burlington Art Centre Foundation;
- member of the Board of Management of Tansley Woods Community Centre;
- member of the Burlington Downtown Symposia;
- member of the Downtown Waterfront Advisory Committee;
- member of the Mayor’s Post-Secondary Task Force and the McMaster Burlington Transition Team;
- member of the Board of Directors of Summit House, which provides assisted housing to intellectually challenged individuals;
- Chair of the John T. Tuck School Council for 4 years.