Rick’s awards and recognition:
- a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal, awarded by the Government of Canada on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of her accession to the throne, in recognition of contributions to Canada;
- the inaugural Distinguished Volunteer Award from the Burlington Chamber of Commerce;
- a Paul Harris Fellowship awarded by The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International given for the furtherance of better understanding and friendly relations among peoples of the world;
- a Five Year Volunteer Service Award from the Government of Ontario in honour of a commitment to volunteerism;
- a Pearl Award presented by the Art Gallery of Burlington on the occasion of its 30th anniversary in recognition of dedication and commitment to the visual arts and the growth of the organization;
- a Certificate of Appreciation presented by the Burlington Chamber of Commerce in recognition of 10 years of continuous service; and
- Life-time membership in the Burlington Chamber of Commerce in recognition of his extensive contributions to the Burlington Chamber of Commerce.
He is the current chair of Burlington Theatre Board Inc., which is charged with managing Burlington’s Performing Arts Centre, and a director of Python’s Pit, Halton’s student entrepreneurial competition.
Rick’s past community service roles are as follows:
- Past Chair of the Burlington Community Foundation Board, a position he held from July 2008 to July 2010.
- Past Vice-Chair of the Halton Police Services Board;
- Past President of the Board of Creative Burlington (formerly Performing Arts Burlington);
- Past Chair of the Board of the Burlington Chamber of Commerce,
- Past President of the Board of the Burlington Art Centre and a former member of the Board of the Burlington Art Centre Foundation;
- member of the Board of Management of Tansley Woods Community Centre;
- member of the Burlington Downtown Symposia;
- member of the Downtown Waterfront Advisory Committee;
- member of the Mayor’s Post-Secondary Task Force and the McMaster Burlington Transition Team;
- member of the Board of Directors of Summit House, which provides assisted housing to intellectually challenged individuals; and
- Chair of the John T. Tuck School Council for 4 years.